I Know What You Did Last Tuesday: Introducing Tennis Tuesdays
Or should I say 'will be doing on Tuesdays' starting from the 5th May when Lawn Tennis Association (LTA), the governing body of tennis in the UK, in partnership with my favourite Nike is launching Tennis Tuesdays summer initiative for women encouraging them to enjoy the fun of playing tennis more. Having joined a blogger launch event earlier this Tuesday at Paddington Recreation Ground in Maida Vale, I am keen to share my experience! (Hint: you won't believe how ridiculously affordable it is!!!)
With hundreds of locations across the UK (the were 37 parks in London search results at the time of publishing this blog post featuring major London parks such as Regents Park, Hyde Park, Holland Park, Finsbury Park and many more), women are invited to start/continue playing tennis, independently of their age, fitness and game levels, with a group of likeminded women.
What to expect? The classes are structured around Six Themed Sessions:
- Over and in - Practise hitting the same rallying consistently with forehands and backhands, then play some points to try it out
- Directing the ball - Get tips on moving your opponent around, then play some points to try it out
- Put them under pressure - Get tips on making it difficult for your opponent then play some points to try it out
- Defend and recover - Get tips on where to stand on court and learn to recognise when and how to defend
- Playing at the net - Get tips on volleying, approaching and closing the net
- Team Work - Work together to try out different doubles tactics, then play some doubles points to try them out
As per my spoiler above, classes' cost varies from £4 to £12 (the majority of classes are around £6-8 per class). If you are a complete beginner like me (not to worry!) there is Tennis Express course that will cost you around £50 (the only challenge with this is that at the moment many of the locations where you can sign-up for a beginners course are within 10+ mile travel distance from Central London).
On Tennis Tuesdays, tennis courts are booked, instructors are present, and rackets and balls are provided. (At the blogger event we were also provided with this awesome Nike gear - you can browse the Nike Signal Women's T-shirt here and Nike Leg-A-See Laser Logo Leggings here). So all you need to do is book a class, show up and start kicking balls (with a racket it is) with other tennis-hungry girls (come in your own sports clothes though! :) ).
Watch this video to see how our London blogger session went:
To join the movement and become a part of the Tennis Tuesdays, head here!
And maybe see you on the court! :)